Augustine Leudar wrote:

Yes i just mean - when making a 3D sound installation you can use various
types of panning round a sphere (or whatever of speaker array). You seemed
to be saying ambisonics had a clear advantage over other types of panning
for 3D audio - I was just wondering what you saw as ambisonics' advantages
over VBAP.
I am really quite format-neutral... Did I claim such advantages?

The only thing I wrote into this direction was that sound fields fit by its very nature very well to 360ยบ video and AR/VR. (Isotropy, 3D capability even at just 4 channels, SF rotation is quite easy.)

Otherwise, we came from the discussion of quadrophony (now recording history) - and then binaural recordings.

I have recorded my own Binaural album using binaural
microphones - it doesnt work at all on speakers - and thats with my own
HRTF . Seeing as the claim has been made between "modern" binaural
recordings work on two speakers (not by you incidently) - lets hear one - I
can guarantee you you will not hear a barber shaving the back of your head
on to loud speakers.

I believe you would need certain filtering (problem: you would damage headphone representation - where binaural recordings are supposed to shine!), or X-talk cancellation.

The kunstkopf concept uses some (statistically) averaged HRTF. That you could do some good binaural recordings (just) with some simple in-ear microphones and your/our heads is probably just a claim by your local ear microphone producer... ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

"For listening using conventional speaker-stereo, or mp3 players, a pinna-less dummy head may be preferable for quasi-binaural recording, such as the sphere microphone or Ambiophone. As a general rule, for true binaural results, an audio recording and reproduction system chain, from microphone to listener's brain, should contain one and only one set of pinnae (preferably the listener's own) and one head-shadow."

Binaural stayed in the background due to the expensive, specialized equipment required for quality recordings, and the requirement of headphones for proper reproduction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_head_recording

"The dummy head is designed to replicate average sized human head and depending on the manufacturer may have a nose and mouth too. "

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: No, I don't sell binaural recording equipment.     O:-)

I've actually found Ambisonics to be worse compared to VBAP in
many situations and better in others - but generally I use Vbap or Dbap .
The only real advantage I can see of ambisonics is having one file that can
be up or down mixed - but you can do that to a degree with Vbap files as
well.
In terms of one of these "modern" binaural recordings - I dont really know
what this means . ...