On 10 January 2017 at 03:13, Sampo Syreeni <de...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Funnily, Gerzon also built up another hierachy of sorts, incompatible with
> UHJ. That's the frontal stereo one for early HDTV work. I never understood
> why he didn't bring it under the ambisonic compatibility fold.

AFAIR, this was a "political" choice (or, at least, a marketing one) based
on the backwash of resistance to Ambisonics that was still coming from the
failure of Quad systems to grab market share in the seventies. Actually
tagging something with the label "Ambisonics" was tantamount to labelling
it "esoteric nonsense" to far too many engineers in those days. A few of us
hung in there and, eventually, got to the 21st century when things really
started happening, aided by the appearance of low-cost computing systems
that could produce and process B format soundfields in realtime.

    Dave
--

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'