On 2017-01-09, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

- Backward-compatible (to stereo) forms of Ambisonics are very probably possible.

They are not "probably possible". That's what the BHJ version of UHJ *is*.

Yes. But you still have to put L/R + 1 or 2 ext. channels into some < stereo
MP3 or AAC file.

Yes. There's a lot of haziness around how to do that optimally, at least. Cf. the discussions around Vorbis's multichannel capability. There ambisonic theory is explicitly mentioned.

Our aim would be to be backward compatibility to common file and stream stereo formats. This is not completely trivial, but can be done. (Extension channels "buried" in file or container format. We don't want to break existing stereo decoders...)

There's then historical ambisonic theory even for that. :D

In the UHJ hierachy we also have SHJ and THJ. Those were originally meant as compatibility formats for augmented AM and FM stereo radio. SHJ as a "two and a half channel" format exists because at the time sattling a full-bandwidth third channel onto a typical radio broadcast was technically impossible. Given the limitations of analogue electronics. However, a half-band channel could be put on, and so SHJ was borne.

At the same time, what you'd really want in a compatibility format would be just a third, full-bandwidth channel. That's what THJ then represents, as the full-fledged third tier of the UHJ hierarchy. It starts with BHJ, and then ads a suitably (complex) matrixed third channel (T), so that the whole system inverts into pure pantophonic B-format (a bit of a misnomer because cylindrical and spherical harmonics can't really be so exchanged, but still close enough).

So, if you want to get complete compatibility, we have the signal format already. The question is how to convey it within common audio formats.

That is then not much of a problem either, if you think about it. Pretty much the only formats we have to think about are RIFF WAVE (.wav) and MPEG2 layer 3 (.mp3). Just maybe MPEG2/4 AAC (ISO/IEC 13818-7:2006).

Wav, especially in its modern versions, supports hiding T. It also supports a media tag to discern between just UHJ encoded stereo with a hidden channel, from ordinary stereo with one hidden channel. We already used it to encode B-format, in Richard Dobson's .AMB format, derived from WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonic_data_exchange_formats).

AAC is pliable as well. Of MP3 I'm not too sure, but I think it might be. (I'm too drunken and tired to delve into that now. If you want certainty, remind me later. I do think I have the relevant ISO standards laying around somewhere on my disks.)

UHJ was always a hierarchy scheme. Even so you have to find some space for T and Q channels. It is all just about some "practical space problems", not Makita theory itself... Just IT and standard related stuff, not math! ;-)

Funnily, Gerzon also built up another hierachy of sorts, incompatible with UHJ. That's the frontal stereo one for early HDTV work. I never understood why he didn't bring it under the ambisonic compatibility fold.

DirAC has the problem that it currebtly can be used "just as research" tool. (I won't discuss this here. But you know this as well as I do. )

Yes. It might be patent encumbered as well. And I don't much like the idea that the decoder's input is effectively a directed cardioid -- that should be dealt with pretty much as the dual of an optimal decoder.

But yeah...

Maybe. But before we "just" would need some good binaural decoder for some standard surround formats; 5.1 and FOA surely included.

If you "just want to do it", I can easily contribute the research, math and inner loops. On the framework and integration side I'm not too good.

Until 2morrow, and many thanks for your thoughtful and constructive posting! (I have to think about this quite a bit more....)

What the list is for, but also a bit sorry for my usual rant-length. :)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2