At 10:48 26/06/2017, Enda Bates wrote:

>In our test, the mic preamps were quite modest (the MOTU 8m) although
>still fairly representative of the types of mic pres often used with
>these types of mics, hence the issue. So, as John also mentioned, when
>using the TetraMic with modest mic pres (such as a Motu, or a Zoom
>portable recorder), noise can be more of an issue with this mic
>compared to some others, but using better mic pres (such as the Metric
>Halo) much less so. To me this is something important to be aware of.

There is something not quite right here. It seems quite crazy to have to spend over USD 3000 for a preamp/AD convertor to use with a microphone (Tetramic) which is designed to sell for USD 1300 (i.e. much cheaper than the Soundfield). But I am not convinced that such an expensive preamp is required. The Tetramic website says: "We've found that a few commercial mic pre/ADCs will do the job. They are the <http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler-mk3/>MOTU Traveler, <http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/4pre>MOTU 4Pre, Metric Halo's <http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/ULN-8.html>ULN-8, Prism Sound's <http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/orpheus/orpheus_home.php>Orpheus, Apogee's <http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/quartet>Quartet and <http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php>RME Fireface UFX."

I am not a MOTU user, but at USD 449, the MOTU 4Pre presumably has a quite adequate noise specification, or the highly competent Tetramic engineers would not have mentioned it in the same sentence as the more expensive options.

David