On 2017-06-26, David Pickett wrote:

I am not a MOTU user, but at USD 449, the MOTU 4Pre presumably has a quite adequate noise specification, or the highly competent Tetramic engineers would not have mentioned it in the same sentence as the more expensive options.

Furthermore, on the digital side of things, we can buy somethhing equivalent to yesterday's supercomputer for nickel and dime (cf. Raspberry PI and its ilk). It doesn't seem quite right that we couldn't engineer high quality analogue preamp circuitry towards a similarly low price point, especially since the advances in digital circuitry are synergistic with analogue designs.

It's been something like a decade since I looked into something like Cirrus Logic or Analog Devices A/D silicon. Then a perfectly good four channel, 16-18 bit equivalent chip cost somewhere in the vicinity of $35. A reference PCB layout for it came free as well. Thus, the idea that you'd now have to expend anything beyond some 100€'s in hardware in order to get a fully functional, top of the line preamp for your top of the line ambisonic mic, seems pretty much preposterous.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2