On 2017-06-26, David Pickett wrote:

This whole business of low noise microphones and preamps is in my experience a non-issue in the vast majority of cases. Very few environments are quiet enough to be softer than the noise level of most microphones.

Agreed, and thanks for pointing that aspect out aloud. Quite a number of people -- myself in particular because I have very little on-field experience -- tend to be swayed by minute theoretical disagreements which have absolutely nothing to do with our two shared goals: the best all-round practical signal chain possible, and the best sounding records (in their many forms) achievable within its bounds.

Sampo is right about the ease with which a high quality mic amp can be put together, taking reasonable (and obvious) precaution with screening, rf suppression and PSU smoothing. [...]

Now if only all of the bucks being thrown at the problem went to mitigating such real and well known culprits. If only we did high fidelity and the high tech which goes along with it at the *true* fidelity margin, at all price points. I mean if we ever got close to something like *that* principle, you could even today have a well rounded, effective setup for less than a week's pay. If you decided to invest more and had the wherewithal to go there, you could do even better -- but now all-round, so that what you saved in your mic and preamp, you could invest into acoustic treatment, professional help and whatnot, which currently tend to be underappreciated wrt to the difference they make.

I have a dream... :D
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2