Hi Søren

Here's My 2 pence.

I have used Logic, live and protools for years, and dreaded the switch to
Reaper to take advantage of the 64ch buses.
In the end i didn't, i use them all.
If i am composing i generally use logic, transfer and mixing from film
edits,  protools, and live performances,  Ableton.
But i always go through Reaper to do most spatialisation. This is all done
via digital in and outs and network sync, midi and osc. It works very
well,  and meant i did not have to change over 20 years of programming in a
short time.
Now i tend to do a lot more in Reaper, and and quite happy working solely
with it. It's a fantastic DAW made by a very responsive team.
The transition is greatly helped by the fact i have changed all similar
functions to the same key commands. No looking in a load of menus for
differently named items.

I'm not fully convinced of the use of vbap just because of the sweet spot.
To me even 1st order Ambisonics sounds more immersive, even out of the
sweetspot. It doesn't suffer speakers pulling the phantom image to the
nearest source so obviously.
Ambisonics also seems to even out room response
, and is
 tolerant of cheap speakers (if they are all the same).
This all should be a consideration.
So using both techniques may yield a more robust response.

Best

Steven