On 09/15/2018 05:59 AM, Marc Lavallée wrote:
Le 15/09/2018 à 06:19, Eero Aro a écrit :

David Pickett wrote:

This is a welcome price, but unfortunately, for that kind of money
you dont get any numerical specifications, graphs, or guarantee of
capsule matching, repeatability or variance between examples, all of
which determine its potential value as a professional tool.

For about thirty years I have been waiting for an Ambisonic microphone
for a non-professional user. I welcome Zoom's new product with pleasure!

What I'm still waiting for is a free (as in speech) Ambisonics
microphone like the ones being developed by the SpHEAR project:
https://cm-gitlab.stanford.edu/ambisonics/SpHEAR/

I want something affordable, that I can build, fix and calibrate myself,
without two PhDs and access to a nuclear-powered anechoic chamber. I
want a modest gear and enough knowledge.

Yup, what I wanted as well, and one of the reasons I started the project. The current generation of microphones in the SpHEAR world (four and eight capsule designs so far) is sort of "feature complete", including a fairly decent calibration procedure (or so I think).

The current status of the project is reflected in this recent paper (AES, not public, sorry, contact me if you don't have access):

The *SpHEAR Project Update: The TinySpHEAR and Octathingy Soundfield Microphones
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19682

(the actual SpHEAR project git repository web front page is very outdated, sorry, and I have not had time to push the latest updates)

In the meanwhile, I could get
an H3 (or some other affordable "solution"), but like David I want the
numbers. So its a call to all experts who are still reading Sursound;
collaborate to the SpHEAR project and make us capable of building a
decent Ambisonics microphone. I know it will happen, ...

It is possible to do that now. But as I say in another post of this thread, building one is not "cheap", if you count labor[*], and (not enough time as always) the instructions are not complete. On the other hand, the knowledge gained in building and understanding one is something you cannot buy...

-- Fernando

[*] find and buy all components, 3d print all parts, make or order PCBs, assemble printed circuit boards (you need pretty good soldering skills), connect everything together (again, good manual dexterity), find a space for doing the calibration measurements, make _good_ calibration measurements (not trivial, needs skill, good speaker and reference microphone), run the calibration software and check results for sanity, etc, etc... Not what you would call "cheap", but the end result is pretty good.