Am 16.09.18 um 13:26 schrieb Paul Hodges:

But I wonder to what extent the requirement for
calibration for good results is in any case being lessened by
improvements in consistency of mass-produced capsules.  Røde seem to
imply something about that under the heading of improvements in
manufacturing.

There was a time when they sold matched stereo pairs of their microphones with a premium. That stopped a few years ago because, as they told me, there is no point in doing so anymore.

We have reached an age where automatic precision machining equipment enables a consistency that would have required highly skilled workers and a lot of testing and selecting, only a decade or two ago.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog  : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com