On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 01:10:21PM -0600, Martin Leese wrote:

> Extending FLAC to more than eight channels
> has been discussed in the past.    For
> example, look in the sursound archives for this
> long post by me:
>     Subject: Re: [Sursound] octofile release
>     Date: Mon Jul 30 22:30:42 EDT 2018
>
> It is not possible, except by using multiple
> FLAC streams in a single container.

Does this 8 channel limit exist just because only 3 bits are reserved for
the number of channels in the STREAMINFO block, or is it a fundamental
limit of the algorithm ? I suspect it's the former.

Apparently whoever defined that format was thinking that even a single
byte would be a terrible waste of bits. Same for the maximum size (in
frames) which is 36 bits. Rounding that up to 5 bytes would again have
been a terrible waste of superexpensive bits. I wonder how that passed
any serious review...

Ciao,

--
FA