----- Mensagem de Fons Adriaensen <f...@linuxaudio.org> ---------

 Data: Sun, 23 May 2021 22:40:26 +0200

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 01:10:21PM -0600, Martin Leese wrote:

Extending FLAC to more than eight channels

 has been discussed in the past.    For

 example, look in the sursound archives for this

 long post by me:

     Subject: Re: [Sursound] octofile release

     Date: Mon Jul 30 22:30:42 EDT 2018

 It is not possible, except by using multiple

 FLAC streams in a single container.

Does this 8 channel limit exist just because only 3 bits are reserved for

 the number of channels in the STREAMINFO block, or is it a fundamental

 limit of the algorithm ? I suspect it's the former.

 Apparently whoever defined that format was thinking that even a single

 byte would be a terrible waste of bits. Same for the maximum size (in

 frames) which is 36 bits. Rounding that up to 5 bytes would again have

 been a terrible waste of superexpensive bits. I wonder how that passed

 any serious review...

 Ciao,

 --

 FA