On 2022-12-05, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

On 2022-12-04, Thorsten Michels wrote:

Does anyone ever heard of a system described as "3 point XY"?

Sounds like hogwash and snakeoil.

It certainly is not.

If the three mics are coincident (in the horizontal plane),
you can combine their signals to obtain

- An omni response
- A front/back fig-8
- A left/right fig-8

Fuck me. XY isn't well defined. Even I believed, when writing up the OggPCM specification (drart still) that it's all cardioids 45 degrees apart from center front.

Reducing that to the ambisonic framework, well, obviously you can *then* recover WXY as soon as you have a linearly independent combination of any two such pairs, or any three cardioids (which should not be called XY then, because they are not paired).

What I was refererring to above was the older crossed pair. Perchance from the Blumlein era. "Crossed eights". So, two dipoles, not cardioids. Per standard theory, no amount of those in an coincident mic can ever recover W, or anything above first order.

Maybe the XY terminology led me astray? Because whether you take it in its established sense of, yes, cardioids, or the older one of crossed dipoles, even three such linearly independent pairs (6 channels) leads to an overcomplete problem wrt POA, and no real help towards HOA.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2