"JJG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> I will have to think about it some more.  Especially since fat 16 looks
like
> my only choice of common ground.  It might not be worth the hassle.

That is true, but I may have made it sound more dire than it is. My work
notebook is set for dual-boot between Linux and Windows 2K. A small FAT
partition for file transfer between the two suffices. The bummer will be if
you want EVERYTHING on the two big drives to be shared between the two.

You might just do a 50:50 split on the first drive for now, and avoid
filling the big drives until you'r ready to commit to one or the other. I'd
hate to lose you to the Microsoft Matrix now that we got you so close to
seeing the truth! :)

I can tell you from having travelled that same path a few years back:
Installing Windows will by far be the easiest, and you'll initially revel in
the ability to pop things up in a familiar interface and make magic happen.
But one day, you'll run into something that Windows can't do, can't do well
on your hardware, or that you can do with a significant outlay of cash. At
that point (and this happened to me), you'll look over and realize that
Linux CAN do it, CAN do it well on your hardware, and CAN do it for almost
no cost other than the time you're willing to invest in learning something
new. One approach sucks your wallet dry, the other leaves you with new
knowledge and understanding. The capabilities are the same.

I jokingly made a reference to the pills from the movie The Matrix in my
last message. I'm often asked by parents what sort of computer they should
buy their kids. The easy answer is of course to point them to Dell or
Gateway and suggest they buy one of the ever-cheaper desktops. That makes
them happy, the kid happy, and I don't get phone calls. But I'm increasingly
tempted to dig up an old P200 with 64MB RAM -- something that CAN run
Windows and games, but not especially well -- and give them the "red pill,
blue pill" choice. Take one, and you'll wake up and nothing will happen.
You'll be able to do basic application tasks, and even play a few games.
Life will be OK. Take the other, and you'll waken into a new world. It will
be a difficult path at first, but you can use this same computer to learn
about computers and networking. You can delve into programming and find that
you can write your OWN games, and your OWN applications. You can understand
the Internet and the systems that support it, and the need for openness and
compliance to standards, while still not restricting individual freedom to
make the computer truly personal.

One choice leads to a path of endless hardware upgrades and licensing fees.
The other leads to still other worlds, with the only cost demanded being
that you enlighten yourself enough to make it happen.

Please, DON'T TAKE THE WRONG PILL! Or at least stick the other one in a
pocket for a later day. (OK, that would've made the movie pretty lame, I
admit. :)

- Bob