Bill Howard, PC MAG p71, 3/12/02:
"yes, the microprocessor inside a 2ghz PC works 10,000 times
as fast as the one in my first PC. But it's still as much a
struggle to create three-up mail-merge labels in Microsoft
Word as it was with WordStar 3 in 1982. [And need I point
out that this was done in DOS?]
We forget how much WisiCalc and Lotus 1-2-3 liberated us from
Adding machines... and Greenbar mainframe reports." Of course,
if you are under 50, you prolly dont remember working in offices
with typewriters and adding machines and messy corrections.

This is yet another clue I see in the growing awareness that
the PC evolution has reached the era of dinimishing returns.

But the fact is, that a SURVPC is good enough to read this. The
problem is not the hardware so much as the appropriate software,
which has put more creativity into the design of intuitive ways
of doing things rather than glitzy eyecandy.

Getting that message across in the face of the media blitz used
to sell new PCs has not been easy.