Day:

Welcome back.

I agree with your quote and most of your comments on this one.

The hardware processing power is now mis-directed into a focus on the
CPU and not increasing the bus(s) architecture and video display. VIA
with their C3 low-power product line will soon have the DDR-333 (166MHz
front side bus with double pulsing) chip-set on the FlexATX motherboard
form factor. That means a battery powered computer system could be as
fast as the low-cost desktops from Intel & AMD which are now in the 1GHz
to 1.3GHz CPU speed/ratings.

I remember at 1988 Comdex I saw a specialty built prototype which had
dual 80286 CPU's - one for the video and one for processing programs and
data. This thing had DesqView for task switching and was a fore-runner
of the their task switching between DOS & UNIX. It all got REAL quiet
about a week after the show and then I heard Intel had bought the small
R&D company which was a spin-off of a university computer department
folks.

One of the things I like about Steven and his BasicLinux is his ability
to work on 8MB of RAM. Now if had a few of those first-generation
Dauphin 486 small display computers that were a small laptop - big
palmtop from factor from about 1990 to 1992 era. That would work real
well to take on the road and not worry about someone walking off with
your multi-thousand dollar laptop.

John Oram