"Day Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bob George wrote:
> > [...]
> > How much more efficient is it for you to
> > post your musings in this format than mimeographing a
newsletter
> > not all that many years ago? Was your reach nearly as far?
Was
> > your ability to be heard nearly as cost-effective? How then
is
> > that not a measure of "productivity"?
> how much time do I need to spend on email? as below....

These days? To get your message out as far as you do? Not much.
That's the point. You -- Day Brown -- benefit directly from the
increases in productivity that have come about thanks to recent
innovations, many of which involve networks, and multitasking and
multiuser systems. You do not have to be concerned about what
system any others on this list use, what the connection type is,
what the physical path is to their system. Anyone wishing to do
so can subscribe to these lists from a variety of systems, at any
time, using a variety of clients.

> > > If he dont, then he needs full motion video.
>
> > Which are absolutely critical for "messages" of the sort
being
> > tossed about in this thread. I could read about the WTC
collapse
> > and try to imagine it. Or I could watch the video in
disbelief as
> > it occurred in real-time, as could millions of others who
neither
> > speak nor read my language. I think the impact of the latter
was
> > much greater.
> There is a full motion video system available: TV

Which reaches how far? On what frequencies? In what corners of
the globe? Accessible by who? When? Sorry, TV doesn't provide the
ability to view critical events on-demand in any part of the
globe. Not to mention the different video systems in use (try
sending an NTSC video tape to someone with a PAL system).

> > [...]
> > Yes, TODAY a 1982-vintage PC can send e-mail just as well as
> > high-end desktop. But it moves over the same infrastructure
> > (_access_) as the message generated on the high-end system.
Back
> > when that PC was new, you maybe got the word out to a few
hundred
> > BBS users who happened to be on the same (limited) network.
> I dunno all that much about survers Bob, but that 'limited' BBS
> system had 100,000 BBSes, and the information thruput was a
good
> deal higher than what I get on the net.

Well Day, I do know and I also used BBSen back in the day. Yes,
IF they were connected on the same system and efforts were made,
they could exchange data. But it was quite limited compared to
the transparent reach of today's Internet. It wasn't bad, it just
wasn't the same. As long as a BBS operator was willing and able
to foot the bill for disk storage and phone lines, you could
argue that messages made their way world-wide. The reach and
efficiency was NOTHING compared to today. It was something like
Usenet news perhaps.

As to the quality of information, that's what comes when
everyone's weighted the same. No 'sysop' to say who can talk and
who can't. It's a double-edged sword.

But the point was that the ability of a 1982-vintage PC to
generate ASCII text isn't what gets that text out to the world.
And what move stuff about is NOT 1982 technology.

> AFAIK, it ran on SURVPCs with very limited graphic capability.
> It is a case of unintended
> consequences. The graphic images I wanted were harder to get,
but
> then I didnt havta sort thru 50-100 copies of unwanted graphic
> SPAM every time I checked my mail.

That's what happens when a network opens up. No cops, dissenting
opinions, and "trash" (by whatever standard). Unfortunately
there's a lot of crap. But hey, you're able to send YOUR
"literature" out as well, even if it is considered "trash" by
others.

But the subject line you posted was "productivity". Stay on it,
or I go back to offering hints to your programmer. :)

> I grant you that the technology of networking has expanded, but
> the sociological truth is that the bandwidth is clogged with
tons
> of unwanted images.

Day, stay on track. The discussion (your subject line) was
"productivity". You can now sit down at a 1982-vintage PC and
generate ASCII text that THANKS TO RECENT INNOVATIONS can be sent
world-wide in a matter of minutes. Show me how your productivity
didn't increase. How would you have done that in 1982?

> And when I did my email with QWK, I never was
> interrupted by the ISP dropping carrier. I was 'offline'. It is
> this kind of thing that has an enormous impact on 'thruput'.

You realize there are modern offline mailers, right?

- Bob