On  8 Aug 02 at 1:49, Howard Eisenberger wrote:

> 4 meg ram seems to be the lower limit for a lot of stuff. I
can get
> Linux kernel 2.0 (BasicLinux i.e Slack 3.5, Debian 1.3) on my
5 meg
> 386 and run Lynx386 in DOS.
>
> Getting things to work on my 2 meg (really 640 + 1024k) 386
laptop
> is more difficult. Lynx386 won't work in DOS and there is too
little
> ram for Minix386. Minix86 works, but, while it can do PPP,
there are
> very few apps. I have read that Lynx for Minix requires 4 meg.

My experience with this 8Mby 40Mhz 386 is that LYNX for
DOS version 2.8.5 dev.7 runs very well.

If I try it with 4MBy, it loads so painfully slow as to be
useless.

One must remember that LYNX comes as a 1.367.304 bytes packed
.EXE file.
When expanded into memory, it takes 3.047.424 bytes.

In this 386 I have the expanded file in the HD, as it
loads into memory in a shorter time.

For 2Mby memory (286 or 386), I normally use CONEX telnet client
to a UNIX shell offering LYNX. It is incredible speedy.

The command-line interface is a vestige of an era of macho computing.