Hello Steven -

>At 11:33 AM 8/27/02 +0000, you wrote:
[...]
>> When you "obsolete some" what would you envision as the new
>> minimum hardware platform required?
>
>The larger libraries leave me with two options:
>(1) increase size of ramdisk -or-
>(2) remove some functionality from ramdisk version
>
>Since the larger kernel by itself is enough to raise the
>8mb RAM requirement, I might as well go all the way to 12mb,
>which will allow for a slighty larger ramdisk.  Of course,
>once I get down to it, I may find that I can achieve a big
>jump in functionality (eg. GUI) by going to 16mb.

Are these 8, 12, 16meg referring to ramdisk sizes or total
installed memory for the machine being used?

>There is, however, one cloud on the horizon.  As more and
>more win9x machines are "upgraded" to winXP, there are fewer
>and fewer users who can execute loadlin.exe.  Currently, I
>get around this by providing a floppy option for such users.
>However, this relies on baslinux.gz fitting on a single
>floppy.  Unless I can get BL2 on a single floppy (or think
>of some other way to provide access to winXP users), it may
>not be worth going through the effort of producing BL2.

For WinXP users I would suggest a bootable CD image they can
burn onto a CD and boot from that?

If they have emough oomph for WinXP they probably have CD
capabiities too?

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf