> > However, AFAIK winXP doesn't
> > usually have a FAT partition.
>
> How hard would such a partition be to create?   Can any XP experts
> help?

Looking at the copy of XP Home that came on my laptop, there doesn't seem to
be any easy way to repartition your disk like that; then again, I wouldn't
really expect there to be since it's a kinda obscure thing to need to do.
Software like Partition Magic will resize the NTFS partition down and then
create a new FAT partition in the free space, though.  It's still a bit
technical for a lot of users, especially if there interest in BasicLinux was
that they didn't need to repartition to try Linux out.

Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.
(http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ben.jemmett/, http://www.deltasoft.com/)