Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay wrote:

> Does your current BasicLinux recognize the XP filesystem?

Nope.  That capability is not available for the 2.0.34 kernel.
Hopefully, a more up-to-date kernel will be able to do that.

> You could use it to install the next version from a directory
> on the XP partition.

That is my hope.  Kernel boots directly from the floppy
(no loadlin.exe, no LILO) and runs a *very* minimal root
filesystem with loop capability.  Mount the BL2 image
from /dev/hda1 and chroot.

I have actually done all those steps experimentally *except*
for the winXP bit.  I do not have a kernel that has the
abiity to read the winXP filesystem.  Even if I can find
such a kernel, it remains to be seen whether such a kernel
will fit on one floppy (with all the other stuff).

> How hard would such a partition be to create?

It is unrealistic to expect winXP users to create a new
FAT partition just to try BasicLinux.  The only realistic
approach is to create a mini-Linux that will work on what
they've got.

Cheers,
Steven