I've now got Opera 6.11 and AbiWord 1.02 running on BasicLinux
(everything fits into an 80mb partition).  The X packages came
from Slack71 (*not* Slack35) and I installed the glibc2, dxxlibs,
ncurses, gpm, glib, gtk, zlib and libpng packages from Slack81
(I probably could have used Slack71 for all the packages, but
I have a Slack81 CDrom so it was easier to use that).

The old icewm doesn't work with the X from Slack71.  Fortunately
Slack71 has its own icewm package.  BTW, I installed X from
Slack71 because it is smaller than the X packages in Slack80
and Slack81.

The Opera package came from the Opera site -- I untarred it
to /tmp and ran it from there. The AbiWord package came from
Slack81 (/slackware/gnome directory) -- I used pkg to install
it.

The above installation works fine with the default 2.0 kernel
in BasicLinux (but not with a 2.2 kernel -- it seems to need
a /dev file that is not in BasicLinux).  I haven't tried any
other X applications with this installation; however, I expect
most gnome-compatible applications will work.

Cheers,
Steven