Hi,

I will be on vacation from tomorrow to the next Saturday (inclusive), without
any Internet access.

In case you want to try the latest-greatest there is a series of patches at:

http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/patches/2.6.18-rc4-mm1/

consisting of:
- some 2.6.18-rc4-mm1 fixes (and a hack disabling serial console suspend),
- some patches that have been sent for inclusion into -mm recently,
- the "handle highmem better" patch that removes the highmem-related
limitations of swsusp,
- four experimental patches that make it possible to save suspend images
to swap files.

Everything up to and including swsusp-handle-highmem-better.patch has been
tested and should work.

The last four patches are totally experimental, but the first three of them
have been tested for a couple of times and seem to work (still, for now,
please don't put your swapfiles in a filesystem that you'll miss too much if
it's gone. ;-) ).  I think the approach will need quite a bit of discussion
and/or considerations, so I'll post the patches for a review when I'm back.

In short, the idea is that a swap file can be identified by the name of the
block device which holds it and the offset from the beginning of the device.
The offset is printed by sys_swapon() or when you run "cat /proc/swaps"
(in the "Start" column) and there's a new kernel command line parameter
"resume_offset" allowing you to pass it to the kernel.  For example, if
1) you have a swap file /tmp/swap
2) /dev/hda5 is mounted on /tmp
3) there's 110515 in the "Start" column of the output of "cat /proc/swaps" for
/tmp/swap,
pass "resume=/dev/hda5 resume_offset=110515" to the kernel and that's it.
Have fun!

Greetings,
Rafael

--
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                R. Buckminster Fuller