Hi!

> > > The procfs modification is not really needed, I added it for completness.
> > > The message from sys_swapon() should be enough.  Or perhaps I'll
> > > just add a separate message in sys_swapon() containing the "real" block
> > > device name _and_ the offset for the newly activated swap.
> >
> > Okay, lets just mark it clearly in changelog, perhaps changing
> > /proc/swaps is okay, perhaps not.
>
> I think I'll put the modification of /proc/swaps into a separate patch, so
> that it will be easy to drop if it's rejected.

Thanks.

> > So... being lazy Pavel I am, could you explain how we find which
> > blocks belong to swap file? (Or do you use linklist of blocks for page
> > directories?)
>
> Basically, in the same way we find the blocks that we have allocated from a
> swap partition: we call get_swap_page_of_type() to allocate a swap page
> (it returns the offset of the page _within_ the file/partition) and then we
> call swapdev_block() (this only is a wrapper around map_swap_page()) to get
> the "physical" offset (ie. wrt the beginning of the block device holding the
> swap area).  IOW, the swap-handling code does the job for us. :-)
>
> > Related question is -- how  will we handle *huge* filesystems? Like >
> > 32bit?
>
> The offsets are in (PAGE_SIZE) units. ;-)

Yes, that means 16TB limitation :-).

> Seriously, we can pass a sector_t to the kernel and that is 64-bit.

Yes please. And use 64-bit on disk, so suspend still works with
swapfile at the end of 20TB filesystem ;-).

Ouch and then there's some talk about swapfiles over NFS... I guess
we'll have some fun.
                                                                Pavel
(cesky, pictures)
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html