Hi!

> I will be on vacation from tomorrow to the next Saturday (inclusive), without
> any Internet access.

So you should be back by now? ;-).

> In case you want to try the latest-greatest there is a series of patches at:
>
> http://www.sisk.pl/kernel/patches/2.6.18-rc4-mm1/
>
> consisting of:
> - some 2.6.18-rc4-mm1 fixes (and a hack disabling serial console suspend),
> - some patches that have been sent for inclusion into -mm recently,
> - the "handle highmem better" patch that removes the highmem-related
> limitations of swsusp,
> - four experimental patches that make it possible to save suspend images
> to swap files.
>
> Everything up to and including swsusp-handle-highmem-better.patch has been
> tested and should work.

ata-kconfig-fix.patch ... should go to ide people. Looks trivial, but
I'm surprised it is needed.

tty-console-suspend-resume-fix.patch ... if it works for you, it is
good enough for merge. ACK.

hack-serial-suspend.patch ... it is really a hack, but we want serial
console to work. rmk needs to sign this off, but it looks okay. ACK.

fix-jiffies-screw-up-on-SMP-x86_64.patch ... okay, this looks trivial
and needed. Not my area of code.

swsusp-bitmaps-on-resume-fix.patch ... fixes speed problems,
IIRC. ACK.

i386-timer-debug.patch ... trivial and ok. ACK. It would be nice to
refactor it to some common code, but it is needed now.

x86_64-timer-skew-on-resume.patch ... same as previous one. ACK.

swap_type_of-fix.patch ... IIRC this one is already in (perhaps more
of these are?)

swsusp-add-suspend_console.patch ... IIRC this is in, too?

swsusp-add-suspend_console.patch ... in, IIRC?

pm-make-suspend_console-configureable.patch ... this looks little
hacky, but I think it is in, too.

pm-add-pm_trace-switch.patch ... I'm not sure if it is in or not, but
this one is needed. ACK.

swsusp-handle-highmem-better.patch ... I've reviewed this before. It
is a little complex, and I hope highmem just dies... it probably can
go in after lots of testing.

swsusp-use-start-block.patch ... looks okay to me. ACK.

print-offset-for-swap-files.patch ... this actually changes userland
API. Not sure if that is acceptable; lots of discussion is needed. We
should probably drop /proc/swaps and just create something in sysfs.

swsusp-introduce-resume-offset.patch ... do we really need /sys file
setting up resume offset? Anyone needing that should really use
uswsusp. submit() move around probably should go into separate patch
(that can go in earlier). Okay, it is not as bad as I expected... Oh,
new command line options need Documenting.

swsusp-resume-offset-in-user.patch ... aha, so you are _not_ planning
to use bmap() to handle swapfiles, instead you are doing it in kernel
:-(. OTOH code looks quite acceptable... actually bmap() would be
quite hard to with swapfiles, because you need to know what is empty
and what is not... so perhaps this is acceptable?

> In short, the idea is that a swap file can be identified by the name of the
> block device which holds it and the offset from the beginning of the
> device.

Are you sure swap files are always contiguous on the disk? I'm pretty
sure that is not the case.
                                                                Pavel
(cesky, pictures)
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html