> > > In the mean time I asked him to try with minimal number modules loaded.
> >
> > I indeed tryied with way much less modules lodaded, without success:
>
> Well, you still have way too many modules. What about init=/bin/bash
> boot?

Well, with this, the system does not wake up either.

Moreover, it *also* does not wake up properly when I boot with the
2.6.16 kernel.

Indeed, when the suspend to RAM happens while the machine is in text
mode, the system usually does not wake up properly, either with 2.6.16
 or 2.6.17

The wake up works well when initiated in graphics mode with the 2.6.16
kernel.