On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:15:15 +0000 (UTC)
"Matej Cepl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jason Lunz scripst:
> > Yes, it works just fine. I've been running a laptop with dm-crypt on
> > swap and root for months now - only /boot is unencrypted.
>
> That's cool -- more I am thinking about that more I don't understand how
> is something like that possible. Suspend writes to (then encrypted with
> /dev/urandom key) image of the frozen memory, so how can resume decrypt
Random key?

> it? Or do you have to in the moment swap is not used for swapping anymore,
> remove it and replace it with unencrypted swap (or encrypted only with
> suspend's own resources)?

You have to supply the key which is used for encrypting at the moment
you setup the encrypted partitions. swap is not different than /home

> > on debian unstable, yaird supports it more or less out of the box. In
> > the beginning I had to patch Templates.cfg to add ususpend support, but
> > not anymore iirc. I don't know how fedora generates its initrd.
>
> I am afraid that it is mkinitrd. I really hoped that I will not be forced
> to compile my own kernel anymore. Oh well :-(.

Note that an initrd/initramfs can be generated apart from compiling the
kernel. On debian it is generated at install time, based on how you configured
your system, I would guess other distros do the same.

grts Tim