On Wednesday, 8 November 2006 01:44, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:02:07PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Now that's strange, because the suspend loglevel (set by s2disk) should
> > > be the
> > > current one after resuming and s2disk should switch it back to the
> > > original
> > > one.
> >
> > Well, I've just tested it and it works as expected.  Namely, if
> > 'suspend loglevel' is set to 1, there are no kernel messages on the terminal
> > during the suspend as well as after the resume.
>
> And if you now load a new module, will you get those messages again on the
> kernel console? If yes, you'll probably also get the module loading stuff
> after resume there (assuming the loglevel before was big enough to display
> them)

No, because s2disk changes the kernel console loglevel to the value of
'suspend loglevel' _temporarily_ before the suspend and _restores_ the
original kernel console loglevel after resuming (suspend.c, line 1455).

> > Besides, I think it's not a good idea to use a hardcoded terminal number,
> > because it may be used by someone else and then unexpected things may ensue.
>
> Well, pm-utils opens vt63 anyway, and we always used vt63 in the past without
> problems :-)

That doesn't mean it will work forever. ;-)

> But i'm not religious about this, this is something that might very well
> be best handled in a distro patch - that's why i asked if there are other
> reasons than "i like it better that way", which in itself is a perfectly
> valid reason :-)

But if you patch that, you should also remove the 'suspend loglevel'
setting altogether, because it won't make any sense any more. :-)

--
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                R. Buckminster Fuller