Dear Pavel,

Thanks again for your helpful support!

I have compiled fresh 2.6.19.1 kernels from kernel.org using the config
from Suse 10.1 and 10.2.  No change - s2ram still did not work.

I also tried with the config from Ubuntu 6.1 but I couldn't get it to
boot (I think I don't understand how the initrd works).

So I don't know which of these may be the problem...

* there is a kernel config option in Suse that stops my s2ram from working
* there is a kernel config option is Suse that is missing and needed for
my s2ram to work
* Ubuntu have a patch that is needed
* Ubuntu do something clever in their initrd

Any thoughts?  Maybe hibernating to disk isn't such a bad option after all!

Thanks again,

Andy