OK,

I have been able to make the current Ubuntu kernel (2.6.20 patched by
Ubuntu) play nice with suspend to ram: I have recompiled the kernel
using the kernel.config from LDFK (found in the iniramfs in their source
code tree) file as configuration file. Just type "make menuconfig", load
this configuration file and turn off Video4Linux drivers (that have a
compilation error somewhere).

Unfortunately I don't know which options help here, and, as the kernel
has many options, to found out may be a huge effort.

I have, however noticed, that my HD is very slow and the drive that was
recognized by libsata (and showed as /dev/sdaX) was now present as an
IDE drive in /dev/hdaX (with DMA turned off). Can this be related to the
suspend problem?

best,

Paulo

Obs: Now it is time to go to sleep...