Hello,

I have found the problematic module that don't allow suspend to ram to
work in the Toshiba U205 S5067 laptop: it is the sata driver. This
laptop has as an Intel ICH7 Family SATA controller that uses the libsata
+ ata_piix module.

I had a hint that the SATA module could be the problem after ROSS told
us that the LFDK CD kernel could suspend to RAM. I confirmed this now
after recompiling my distribution kernel (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, based on
kernel 2.6.20) and making the following changes to the kernel
configuration (in menuconfig):

1) Compile the following options as builtin (not as module):

Device Drivers -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL Support -> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK
support
Device Drivers -> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL Support -> genric IDE chipset
support

(This is necessary to allow the laptop to access the HD without the SATA
driver. Note that the HD works without DMA and hence it is very, very
slow, so this is not a real workaround, it is only a way to do the test.
Note that with this driver the hd will appear as /dev/hda (and not
as /dev/sda). This may make necessary some changes in the GRUB boot
options. In Ubuntu no changes to grub are necessary)

2) Turn off (exclude) the ata_piix module:

Device Drivers ->  Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental)
drivers -> Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA support

After these changes I have recompiled the kernel and rebooted onto the
new compiled version.

The laptop is slow due to the DMA-less HD, but I am able to suspend to
ram and come back just in LFDK CD.

I will update the bug reports with this information. I may try to debug
the driver adding printk to it but I am afraid that the console will go
blank before I can see any messages.

Best,

Paulo