On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:47:02PM +0200, maestro wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> i installed debian etch on my notebook [0] because sarge did not support
> any suspend capabilities on that model.

What kernel version? Can you try a recent vanilla or -mm kernel?

> suspend-to-disk works OK when the gnome-applet is told to do so - but
> i've had no luck with suspend-to-ram
>
> so i tried s2ram from the suspend package with no luck. i tried all the
> 10 possibilities listed on [1] (with kernel boot parameter init=/bin/sh
> and no framebuffer)
> s2ram -f (-a 123, -p, -m, -s)
>
> when invoking s2ram the system behaves as expected (except that after
> the screen goes black and the hdd spinned down the power led is blinking
> about once per second)
> BUT only the power button will then make the laptop react (neither Fn
> key nor any other key work)

This might be just normal. It is machine dependent how they want to have
wakeup triggered. My nx5000 also wakes up only on power button.

> when pressing the power button the fan starts and the hdd indicator led
> is on constantly for about 15-20 seconds then it goes dark - issuing
> find / does not make the led flicker. (i cannot hear the hdd because the
> fan is constantly on)

This sounds like a disk driver issue, trying a newer kernel might help.

> anyway after "resuming" the screen always stays black and i cannot find
> anything usefull in the logs
>
> in some combinations of arguments the caps lock key is recognized and
> the appropriate led is lit and with some other combinations it is not
> (afair its with the -a 123 when it does not work anymore)

Yes, the newer HPs seem to hang hard when using "-a X". However, the caps
lock key still working means the machine is not totally dead. In this
state, it is not easy to debug, though :-(

> your help on this will be greatly appreciated & please let me know what
> further information might be valuable to solve this
>
> cheers
> m.
>
> [0]
> Machine matched entry 55:
>     sys_vendor   = 'Hewlett-Packard'
>     sys_product  = 'HP Compaq nx8220 *'
>     sys_version  = ''
>     bios_version = ''
> Fixes: 0x44  VBE_SAVE NOFB

I think i have seen such a machine suspend / resume here, so it
looks like it really is an issue with your kernel version.
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)