On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 07:48:17PM +0200, maestro wrote:
> Hello, sorry that i did not get back to you earlier
>
> > > i installed debian etch on my notebook [0] because sarge did not support
> > > any suspend capabilities on that model.
> >
> > What kernel version? Can you try a recent vanilla or -mm kernel?
> debian etch comes with 2.6.18 kernel. as you suggested i tried a recent
> vanilla kernel (2.6.22.1 - with the .config that comes with etch)
> the results are short and as follows:
> after resume the hdd-led is lit constantly for ~15 secs then turns turns
> off. find / does not light the led again, and no button (caps lock, num
> lock, whats-o-ever) makes any led light (tried again all 10 combinations
> mentioned on your website, and init=/bin/sh)

Bad. Maybe it is time for reporting it on the linux-kernel mailing list...

> > > when pressing the power button the fan starts and the hdd indicator led
> > > is on constantly for about 15-20 seconds then it goes dark - issuing
> > > find / does not make the led flicker. (i cannot hear the hdd because the
> > > fan is constantly on)
> >
> > This sounds like a disk driver issue, trying a newer kernel might help.
> tried new kernel did not help :-(
>
> > > anyway after "resuming" the screen always stays black and i cannot find
> > > anything usefull in the logs
> > >
> > > in some combinations of arguments the caps lock key is recognized and
> > > the appropriate led is lit and with some other combinations it is not
> > > (afair its with the -a 123 when it does not work anymore)
> as i said above, with the 2.6.22.1 kernel that is not true anymore, none
> of the 10 tested combinations lights the caps lock led after resume
> anymore
>
> > Yes, the newer HPs seem to hang hard when using "-a X". However, the caps
> > lock key still working means the machine is not totally dead. In this
> > state, it is not easy to debug, though :-(
> so is the new situation an improvement?

No, not really :-)

> > I think i have seen such a machine suspend / resume here, so it
> > looks like it really is an issue with your kernel version.
> do you have any details on that? (a .config to try or something
> similar?)

I added it to the whitelist March 2006, so it might have worked with the
2.6.16 kernel we used back then. I don't know about the exact config of
that kernel, though, and i have not tried it recently.

> again
> > > your help on this will be greatly appreciated & please let me know what
> > > further information might be valuable to solve this

unfortunately, i don't really have an idea what to try next.
I'll try to locate the machine i had tried this on and check if it still
works there. After all, it might be that there are different machines sold
under the label "nx8220".

> s2ram -n
> Machine matched entry 55:
>     sys_vendor   = 'Hewlett-Packard'
>     sys_product  = 'HP Compaq nx8220 *'
>     sys_version  = ''
>     bios_version = ''
> Fixes: 0x44  VBE_SAVE NOFB
> This machine can be identified by:
>     sys_vendor   = "Hewlett-Packard"
>     sys_product  = "HP Compaq nx8220 (PG804ET#ABD)"
>     sys_version  = "F.14"
>     bios_version = "68DTV Ver. F.14"
> See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.

Yes, and this means that it "should work" :-(
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)