On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:26:30AM +0200, Gergely Csépány wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Stefan Seyfried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [added suspend-devel to cc:, please keep it that way]
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:08:43PM +0200, Gergely Csépány wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have tested and use s2ram on my laptop without problems, here is the
> > > output of 's2ram -i':
> > >
> > > "$ sudo s2ram -i
> > > This machine can be identified by:
> > >    sys_vendor   = "MICRO-STAR INT'L CO.,LTD."
> > >    sys_product  = "MS-1057"
> > >    sys_version  = "0571"
> > >    bios_version = "A1057IMS V7.05 "
> > > See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.
> > >
> > > If you report a problem, please include the complete output above."
> > > For me, it works by simply typing 's2ram -f', no additional options
> >
> > Does it work from both X and the console?
>
> From X it does, from console I had to use 's2ram -f -a 3' to work, and

Ok, so i added it to the whitelist with that option.

> I found out that I cannot restart or poweroff my machine after using
> s2ram, neither from X nor from the console.
> The shutdown/restart (init 0/6) scripts run until the end when it
> should poweroff/reboot, and all I can see is it prints the last
> message about poweroff or restart then it freezes. Then I can simply
> poweroff and poweron manually, no data is lost, and everything works
> again, but what can cause that?

This is a kernel bug, and i seem to remember that recent upstream kernels
did get fixes for that kind of problem, but i'm not exactly sure which ones
and if all these problems should be fixed now. Probably it would be a good
idea to retry with a recent vanilla kernel and report to LKML if it still
fails.

> > > are needed. I would like to know how should I edit the whitelist.c to
> > > include my machine in it, so i could simply use 's2ram'.
> >
> > Just look at the other machines, in whitelist.c, it should be pretty
> > obvious.
>
> Should I use the options needed for the console (s3 save both) or for
> the X (no additional options)?

Well, using the console options will make sure that you can also suspend from
the console :-)

I have added it like this:

        /* Gergely Csepany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> */
        { "MICRO-STAR INT'L CO.,LTD.",  "MS-1057",              "",     "",
S3_BIOS|S3_MODE },

(yes, i deliberately misspelt your name, since UTF-8 in code often causes
 problems for people using not-utf-8-clean editors)
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)