OK, I don't mind responding to reason!
Of course my figures were wrong - I hadn't a calculator handy, but the
illustration served to get people's brain cells working!
And yes, I did cite the worst example of coal-burning generation efficiency
for comparison - gas-fired cogen stations are far more efficient.
However, my figures on life cycle greenhouse gas production were not
exaggerated - EVs,
using power taken direct from the grid (as in, during the day) are the
dirtiest vehicles out.
(But not at the point of use, of course.)
Qualify that with the other end of the scale - using overnight  "waste"
electricity or renewable sources and they are among the cleanest, comparable
with using straight
vegetable oil or (second best) biodiesel.
But you can't choose one or the other - you must take all sources of energy
into account, particularly when users are interested only in saving their
dollars and cents by using their employer's power to top up during the day!
I have not decried EVs - just the selective thought processes of their
proponents.
Terry

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details