"> But GM and automakers including Toyota Motor Corp. and Volkswagen AG
> now agree that gasoline is the most practical. GM has lined up allies
> among major petroleum producers."

Ok, so fine, a reformer makes some sense, but running it on a fossil fuel
and releasing CO2???. The  reformer described below has also been operated
successfully on biodiesel. ..so why not biodiesel???

"Fuel cells run quietly with no combustion cycle and no moving parts.
Northwest Power Systems integrates fuel cells with its patented fuel
processor in complete power plant systems that can recover 90-percent of the
hydrogen from liquid or gaseous fuels such as methanol, propane, methane,
diesel, kerosene and gasoline.

Founded in 1996, Northwest Power Systems is a Bend, Oregon, company with
ties to Idaho Power Company and six fuel cell manufacturers worldwide. The
company has seven employees. The company's website is
www.northwestpower.com"

Why is this not being pursued more aggressively as an option (ie
biodiesel-reformer-fuel cell). Then we'd have something. I would like to
know why VW especially has decided that gasoline is the way to go for this.
Can anyone tell me? I have also emailed the writer of the story to try and
find out more - especially surprised to see VW's preference for gasoline.

"GM has lined up allies
> among major petroleum producers"...I don't imagine that was too
difficult...I would think it was more the reverse!

Ed B.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/FZTVlB/TM