Running your meter backwards is not illegal, and is safe with the proper
equipment. You will definitely need a grid tie inverter with a sell option
(trace). see http://www.homepower.com for the correct methods of
accomplishing this. most states have a netmetering law that covers the
approved method for sell back. don't take the power company's word for it.