Hi David and All,
        I prefer downwind rotors with rotatable tower
foils , I had been building them for 5 years 15 years
ago.
     Your right, most noise comes from the interaction
of the blades and the tower. Another source is the
blade tips. I solved that by using single thickness
blades , ie curved sheets of fiberglass. They are
lighter and produce more power becaues of lower blade
drag.
     The good thing about this was by shaping it right
the wind pressure caused the blade to feather by
bending in higher winds allowing it to genorate power
in higher winds without overloading.
    Too bad the drawings won't come up for me, I'd
like to see it.
     Do you build windgens?  If so I have some ideas
I'll never use. I'll give you for free offline as I
want more windgens out there too.
            jerry dycus

http://l2.espacenet.com/dips/viewer?PN=GB2353825&CY=gb&LG=en&DB=EPD