Rapeseed oil is rich in these compounds more commonly known as vitamin
E. Typical crude oil contains 600 pp. Demand for this vitamin is
rising very rapidly, due to its proven anti-ageing effect on skin and
vitality.  It is also now being widely used as a natural antioxidant
in foodstuffs, thus replacing some of the `suspect' synthetic
antioxidants.

The value of vitamin E is currently somewhere between £300-£700/kilo,
depending on purity and parcel size.  If we were to recover all the
vitamin E per ton of crude rapeseed oil, this would equal 0.6 kg. If
the value was taken as £200/kg. this means that we could recover £120,
equivalent to 11p/litre of RME produced.

As far as is known, none of the current producers of RME have
considered this extremely valuable by-product. Extraction of the
vitamin E from the RME is a relatively simple process involving
distillation of the product, leaving the residue of tocopherols for
further processing. Therefore, it would be important in the design of
any production process to include this step. It might also dictate the
method of esterification, as it is very important that the tocopherols
are not chemically altered in any way.