I have driven several types of diesel vehicles and I can assure you guys
that with American vehicles you have two levels of priorities. If your goal
is to enhance  your chances of reaching your destination "while driving the
auto", then choose a chevy, ford, or dodge truck. If your goal is to boast
that you own a diesel vehicle and it gets great fuel mileage, (running or
not) then choose an escort, olds. 88, or any of the other fine automobiles.
Of course I'm not saying that  you wont get lucky and find a car or truck
that actually runs most of the time without faults, but your chances are
better with the diesel guzzling truck.