I think you are being a touch pessimistic on the fuel consumption. I have a
1987 F-350 with dual rear wheels and a 4.10:1 rear. At the time I bought the
truck it wasn't available with an overdrive transmission. I paid
considerably extra to get the 6.9 liter Navistar Diesel engine. My fuel
mileage was right at 12 mpg. However, the low rear end was only needed when
towing and most of my driving was without a tow. I then bought an overdrive
unit from Gear Vendors and that brought the truck up to 17 mpg. I had a
friend with a Dodge with the Cummins Diesel and with the Gear Vendors
overdrive unit he was getting around 21 mpg. The equivalent powered gasoline
trucks are the ones that get around 7 mpg.

I also drive an old 1980 Volvo Diesel and it gets around 28 mpg town, 36 mpg
highway, but it is underpowered and a dog to drive. It was imported with a
VW truck engine. They no longer import it. You really have to love Diesels
to tolerate it. I have driven several types of modern Diesels in Europe and
love them. The last one that I drove was an Italian Alfa Romeo with a
Diesel. Beautiful. I really wish that the various car manufacturers would be
willing to import them to the USA.

To my knowledge the only cars, as opposed to trucks, currently available in
the USA market with Diesel engines, are the VWs and the Mercedes. The USA
domestic manufacturers, such as Ford, do sell Diesels in foreign markets
such as Europe. They apparently don't think there is enough demand in the
USA to sell them here.

Also, the Detroit Diesel Turbos, as in the Silverado you mentioned, built
before June of 1999, were very prone to cracks in the #8 cylinder. I would
stay away from them. If you find an old normally aspirated DD, they should
be okay, or a turbo built from, say 2000 onwards, as the engine was built
stronger. The new Duramax Diesel that GM is using is quite nice.

Derek W. Hargis

From: "David Reid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>