Our group in MN has also determined that a 20" cargo
container is the best option for a mobile Biodiesel
plant. We have been quoted a cost of $750 to $1200 US
depending on condition. The semi trailers we looked
into were twice as much and would have additional
costs. The solution we have proposed to moving/loading
a loaded 20' unit is to have reinforce the
bottom/sides with additional steel and using a tilt
bed trailer for transport. In reality we will likely
also be using the trailer for WVO collection as well
and so hope it will do double duty. We are planning to
use 265 gal fuel oil tanks as our basic unit for
storage and processing as they are cheaper than buying
the steel to make them. Just advertise in any small
city which has been "hooked up" to natural gas in the
last few years and the response is overwhelming. A
small electric pump  to transfer remaining fuel oil
and some ropes and pulleys are all that is required
for 2 persons to "pull" units out of basements.
Sometimes they are outside and are even simpler to
load on a small trailer. We decline or charge to
remove the really difficult ones.
We are planning on modifying them to be used as our
WVO drop off unit as well. A 500gal Stainless steel
milk "bulk" tank is our reaction vessel. By stacking
the tanks properly we think we can transfer heat from
outgoing Biodiesel to incoming WVO and capture that
energy. The 265 gal collection tanks do double duty as
storage of WVO prior to processing.

An alternative suggestion on transport of the 20'
cargo container is to reinforce and build a subframe
with rollers that can then be loaded and moved by a
commercial "roll off" truck. These are very available
in the US and very reasonable for transport and the
dimensions of the "roll off" subframe is pretty
standardized. They are used primarily for moving large
solid waste and salvage containers. One of the
advantages of using a low flatbed trailer instead of a
roll off truck is that tanks can be added on top of
the cargo container without going over legal highway
height restrictions.

It is fairly simple to insulate cargo containers...and
regardless they are likely to be very hot inside so we
have decided to set up all the controls on the outside
and add a second door on the side toward the front to
aid in ventilation and allow easy access for
maintenance.

Dana Linscott