David,
re
 >Oil does not wear out, it justs becomes
> contaminated. If you are removing the contaminants  just as fast as they
are
> created your oil will last almost indefinitely.

Was led to believe that oil is subject to two kinds of contamination,
particulate and chemical.
The bypass filter sounds like it will take care of the particulate
contamination.
Testing the oil should give an indication of the degree of chemical
contamination.
(fuel into oil,breakdown of oil additives etc)

My '82 Hilux with 2L diesel engine is a particularly smokey performer ( hope
to alleviate that with biodiesel in the future) and contaminates the oil
heavily with carbon (rings aren't what they should be after 350,000km).
Would a bypass filter remove this contamination and if not what would be the
result continued buildup of the carbon with prolonged oil usage?

Thanks,
Paul.