>> "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> "I wouldn't bank on receipts for crude glycerin to make a business plan
>> work.
>> In house refining or conversion maybe."
>
> That's what I'm being told, so I'm looking into products FROM glycerine
> that have a larger market and/or higher market value. Acrolein (which
> you don't approve of, but which forms the basis of manufacture of all
> the ubiquitous acrylic resins) is relatively easily obtained by
> fermentation.
[snip]
> Marc de Piolenc
Marc,

Although I do have concern with the predominant attitude that
[un]civilization needs a polymer for everything, I don't deny the usefulness
of chemistry and chemical engineering.

Relative to acrolein, the topics discussed here have revolved largely around
somewhat "uncontained and uncontrolled" combustion or decomposition of
glycerin.

It is just such an uncontrolled environment, escalated by layman
experimentation and residential use that is prone to cause needless human
injury and suffering - not that qualified engineers and other professionals
cannot achieve the same result, give or take a few Bopahl, Times Beach,
Hanford, Sellefield or Rocky Flats events.

I know I must sound like a radical, left wing, anti-industrial,
eco-terrorist. In truth, I am by and large a mild, bunny lovin', tree
huggin, dirt "worshipper" who prefers his armour to be left to armadillos,
not applied to tires and naugahide, where it can run off into our drinking
water and evaporate into our breathing space.

I only turn rabid when faced with foolishness, or the third full moon of any
month, whichever comes first. So for the moment you can presume that my
shots are current.

Todd
Appal Energy