Keith Addison wrote:

Draft horses

> should work in the winter like everyone else, unless you really get
> snowed up. The grazing systems I mentioned can go through the winter
> in most climates short of far north, and you're not paying to feed
> the horse, the feed isn't an extra cost, it's much more than covered
> by the 12" or so of high-grade humus you're going to plough in when
> you prepare the pasture (temporary ley) for the next crop - enough
> for five years. Something else the agent doesn't shout a lot about.
> When they're grazing they're working. Even if they stay in the barn
> all winter, I'd put a high value on the manure.

    I think you bring up an excellent point.  My father-in-law used to use his
draft horses for timber harvesting during the winter when the ground was frozen
solid.  Using selective cutting methods with draft horses for timber removal
can be an excellent additional and sustainable source of income for farmers who
live up here  in the north.

robert luis rabello