Thanks for those references Keith, they will be very useful.
I am in an unstable phase in regards to my position on Ecological
Sustainability and population. If we are in fact in denial and
consequentially get it wrong we and the rest of biodiversity may only
survive in pockets, despite what WE do the poor may destroy the biosphere in
THEIR attempt to survive. Even the references you gave in regards to food
production (and they are amongst the best) leave an after taste of closure,
of hope rather than reason. The food import figures you quote may indicate
the capacity of the populations concerned to pay for imports including food
and I'm sure that you are aware of this aspect, indeed that is my real
concern. If we were right why did we go to such convolutions to justify our
position.
One could argue that the world never was sustainable simply because
starvation related disease always existed. As it stands the fat or greedy
fail to leave enough to feed the poor and that means that the world does NOT
produce enough food to go around. Until I observe a change in the way
wealth, and food, are distributed I must insist that we do all we can to
increase the total production of food and services to humans. When so many
depend on the scraps from a rich man's table the apparent solution is more
food for the rich resulting in more scraps for the poor. We are attempting
to reduce our waste and effective consumption by recycling, while we are at
it we reduce our environmental impact. These are good things. We should,
though, take care that cleaner production at the farm level results in
productivity gains per hectare not losses or increased cost. For political
purposes we may talk of reducing environmental costs and even put a dollar
value on environmental gain, in reality it has no dollar value unless you
can collect it and distribute it to the needy. In Australia at least there
has been a steady move away from the spirit of the Rio Declaration, so much
so that the official definition of Ecological Sustainability lacks any
reference to poverty or social equity. Many environmental projects have and
are causing economic distress to the growing ranks of Australia's poor. The
reaction will not be good, either the community will rebel or the social and
economic divide will widen, either way the environment will loose. I hope
that the Earth Summit 2002 may be the watershed, certainly some of the
concerns expressed by commissioners as they prepare indicate that I am not
alone in my misgivings. It may be that the haves are not willing to share.
If that is the case, the have-nots can hardly be expected to contribute to
an improvement in our quality of life.
On this forum we work at the practical end of sustainability and maybe
that's our share but sometimes the practical people need to moderate the
ideologues. Humans have got it terribly wrong before  but imagine a mass
extinction of species caused by a resource/human population crisis
precipitated by environmental idealists who seemed to think that the poor
would gracefully depart. How embarrassing!
A quote from Indira Gandhi:
" We do not wish to impoverish the environment any further, and yet we
cannot for a moment forget the grim poverty of large numbers of people.
Aren't poverty and need the greatest polluters? How can we speak to those
who live in villages and in slums about keeping the oceans and rivers and
air clean when their own lives are contaminated at the source?  The
environment cannot be improved in conditions of poverty. Nor can poverty be
eradicated without the use of science and technology."
 Any assistance with this moral dilemma appreciated.  Regards from Harry