<It depends what you mean by "farming". So-called "conventional"
farming - industrialised farming - is fossil-fuel intensive,
economically expensive, and the ecological costs are externalised.
They can be and have been costed.>
By costed I meant included in the price.
Because infrastructure is paid for by taxes, all business are subsidised to
some extent, agriculture is probably the most subsidised ( no judgment). The
brit figures are an excellent example.
My wife is studying for a master in Sustainable Agriculture, I'm a little
selective in what I read on the subject and so we often argue about such
matters.
I tutor OS students in critical reading (many are trained to believe
everything that they read and suffer real trauma when presented with varying
opinions in a lit. review) so I discard papers that do not have a stand
alone logical development that fits the pattern I use for students.
(I wouldn't read much of my own ravings)
Anyway I accept that biodynamic, organic and non-genetically modified
farming can be profitable on an investment/ return basis and indeed Oz would
likely make more export dollars concentrating on these niche markets. If the
premise that there is no more quality farmland to be had that can or rather
may be used to increase production is valid then the tones/hectare becomes
significant.
In Oz we are being forced to retire land because of salinity. Porous
alluvium over marine sediments-seems that the land near to the water is
amongst the least suitable for irrigation. The irrigation farmers want the
graziers to reforest the hills to lower the salt water tables, not that it
would help unless the water use is minimised. Oz has many millions of
hectares of flat volcanic clays that would not be subject to salinity,
provided that they used good water. Of course there is no good water within
cooee of the land in question. The point( there is one) is that in my
experience there is no land suitable for agriculture that isn't in use and
there are few sites left that combine water storage potential with suitable
soils to facilitate multi-cropping. I expect this to be the situation world
wide.
Do you seriously believe that alternative agriculture can match the
production of the industrialised systems and then increase production to
meet increasing global demand? ( I allow the same level of subsidy that you
demonstrate for the Brits).
You have been long suffering and supportive - I owe you an explanation of my
motivation.(with the associated risks involved with soul baring)
Here our arguments are generally about the proportion of the natural
resource that must be reserved for the rest of nature-habitat and species.
The "environmentalists" that I "slag" are those who would, in this context,
deny us the ability to improve the lot of the underprivileged, both here and
globally.
I do have reasons that make sense, to me at least.
For a premise I would state that unless we can stabilise the world's human
population, ecological sustainability is impossible, natural or
non-Malthusian economics may eventually reduce human population by itself,
however, I make the value judgment that the cost to the natural world would
be unacceptable, indeed with 6 billion plus the effect could actually cause
an extinction of humans as well as many other species and most natural
habitats.
Note that I once held the view that a series of "natural" population crashes
should be allowed to reduce human population to a level from which we could
"rebuild" sustainably. Without the ongoing "green revolution" this may have
happened, but there was always going to be a maximum population size beyond
which the ecological damage associated with population crashes could be
tolerated. Is the 6 billion the magic maximum?  Has my human conscience
rejected the costs in human suffering associated with population crashes cut
in? Indeed my perception of acceptable ecological damage may have changed.
Only Lassie knows! Some one else can judge.
The only projections that I am aware of, that show world population
ultimately declining, involve an increase in the modal standard of living,
globally. Particularly in terms of food security and education.
I hope that my comments are generally consistent with a desire to achieve an
improved global standard of living and, subsequently, population decline via
a decreased birth rate.
I am guilty of assuming that initiatives that may reduce productivity or the
rate of increase of productivity are contrary to improving living standards
and as such diminish from a sustainable future. A very few people are
prepared to see a positive correlation between population size and global
production and make the logical connection that limiting production will
limit population. My line is that though this is probably true, to me it no
longer leads to a sustainable future for the reasons that I outlined
above. -The outcome is not worth the costs! Totally a value judgment?
My students once wrote in a year book: "You cannot win an argument with
Harry because when you present a sufficiently compelling case he changes
sides." I hope that it's still true.
Regards from Harry.