"Greg Yohn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Where are you? I thought methal hydrate was methanol mixed with Lye (NaOH).

Methanol + lye (NaOH) = sodium methoxide.

 From the archives:

"Methyl hydrate seems to be a Canadian only term for methanol otherwise known
as methyl alcohol or wood alcohol."

"Methyl Hydrate IS METHANOL. I use it all the time and it works perfect.
Methyl Hydrate is just another name. I have used it for 2 years now."

"Synonyms: methanol, carbinol, colonial spirit, columbian spirit,
methylol, methyl hydrate, wood alcohol, wood naphtha, wood spirit,
methyl hydroxide, pyroxylic spirit
RCRA waste number U154
Molecular formula: C H4 O"

"I found methyl hydrate at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart only has it in 4L jugs.
Wal-mart and TSC stores call it methyl hydrate or (stove fuel)." (In
Canada.)

Or try these - from
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_supply.html
Biofuels supplies and suppliers

Methanol suppliers, chemicals

Dyce Chemical Inc. -- 1353 Taylor Pl., Billings MT, USA (406)
248-3131 -- 99+% methanol in 5-gallon cans (expensive) or 55-gallon
drums (cheap).

VP Racing Fuels sells pure methanol and has a world-wide distribution network.
http://www.vpfuels.com/

The Science Alliance -- Internet source for chemicals, glassware, and
scientific equipment for industrial, research and academic interests.
"We offer a comprehensive chemicals catalog with both laboratory and
bulk sizes available. Our newly expanded equipment inventory includes
low priced laboratory equipment and utensils as well as many kits and
demonstrations for kids and students to learn science in fun and
informative ways."
http://www.sciencealliance.com/

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever