Yes they can, and more besides.

A bit of info on Unimogs. I was in Germany as a working forester for ten
years. Unimogs were the mainstay of timber extraction and their sister
machine the MB Trac. This was a Unimog with the rear axle bolted direct to
the chassis, no springs! Working with them, you felt pretty confident in
most situations, especially in the full forestry jacket of roll over
protection and 10mm thick belly plates plus two Werner drum winches with an
8 ton pull each. I got one really dancing in following the forestry clear
up of the 1991 storms there.

The Unimog gets it name from Universal Machine fuer Obst- und Gartenbau
(universal machine for fruit growers and market gardening).I think the
first were built around 1934 and were around the size of a Land Rover with
a ~50 HP engine. I was once lucky enough to have a little drive around in
an original, still working in a small private forest.

Developed unlike the Land Rover, a vehicle that never got past the
sentimentality stage (we-cant-make-it-better-its-a-Land-Rover mentality)the
Unimogs now get up to 210 hp (U2100) with numerous derivatives and
attatchments. The MB Trac stopped production for a while, which was where a
British company that did get over the sentimental block on product
development produced the JCB Fastrac. It is now a good contender for the
Unimog's crown of a real off road machine. I heard recently the MB Trac was
back in production.

see
www.jcb.co.uk
Fantastic graphics of some real all-round bits of kit.

One of the Unimog derivatives I really liked, (but out of my price range)
was the Werner Trac, an MB Trac derivative by the winch manufacturer in
Trier. Full forestry spec, hydraulic 10 ton double drum winch, rear
winching spade and front blade. Now that was an off roader.

One vehicle I never got near though was a French military jeep class
vehicle, looking a lot like a G-Wagen with (I think) a Peugot badge. I saw
a lot in the French sector of Germany (prior to the Wall coming down of
course). The rumour was no civilians could get hold of them for private use
as they had some special engine. Any info on what this might be?

--
------------
Recycling - not a chore more a way of life

Dave Preskett         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The BioComposites Centre
University of Wales, Bangor
Deiniol Road