Hello paul,
I have read your postings on the biofuel newsgroup.
Where in Oz are you?
I'm in WA (OZ, not USA).  I run my Mazda Capella '90 diesel on WVO
(canola/cottonseed oils), with biodiesel startup/shutdown.
Although I do not make BD, I am familiar with the chemistry of the process.
A couple of points I would like to make are:
    It is not desirable to use vacuum distillation to recover methanol.
This would then require chilled recovery vessel.  It works fine at
atmospheric pressure.
    Methanol recovery should be done from the glycerol by-product (after
separation), methanol is not soluble in BD, but is soluble in the glycerol,
therefore is removed with the glycerol and can be removed from the glycerol
by distillation.  You cannot get 100% methanol recovery, a significant
amount is used in the reaction, creating BD.
    If you have vacuum distillation facilities, use them to refine the
glycerol, it is worth big bucks in reasonable quantity and purity.

Please feel free to continue this discussion, e-mail me direct, or phone me.
Tony Clark
President,
WA Renewable Fuels Association inc.
0428 920 881