>Keith Addison wrote:

Naah, I just forwarded.

<snip>

>I would like to see one of the auto makers come out with a vehicle that is not
>only "green" but practical for us rednecks that need high ground clearance and
>four wheel drive. "Green" means "efficient" means "long range."
>There have been
>a number of times that I had to carefuly calculate my range before heading out
>onto Nevada dirt roads. These roads would chew up and spit out any
>of the above
>listed vehicles. I would like to see a 1000 mile range "truck" or
>"SUV" based on
>some sort of hybrid or other system. 30 plus miles per gallon of
>fuel with a 40
>gallon tank would be great, preferably diesel, of course. I'd go into debt
>tommorow to buy one if it were available. Any ideas? Is there a
>retrofit for my
>3/4 ton 1991 GMC Suburbanator? 13.9 MPG is getting expensive.
>
>Arne ...

http://defence-data.com/dsei/pageds1055.htm

Pinzgauer gets Euro III engine from 2002

The Pinzgauer truck is to get a new and more efficient Euro III
engine. Vehicles built at Guildford in the UK after January 2002 will
be fitted with a high torque variant of Volkswagen's 2.5 litre,
5-cylinder turbo inter-cooled diesel engine. Test results from the
initial installation in trials vehicles confirm that the power unit,
an industrial version of the similar configuration now fitted in a
whole range of VW and Audi models, produces over 130bhp and a low rev
torque of over 280 Newton metres.

Further development and engine mapping work is under way and
Automotive Technik and Volkswagen engineers have been working to
fine-tune the engine management systems to match the Pinzgauer' s
performance and operational requirements. Unofficial trials have
confirmed that the new-engined vehicle is as quick off the mark with
a full payload as the current model is unladen. Top speed is expected
to remain around 120 kph.

"The reliability and performance criteria we set for the Pinzgauer
are very special", says ATL Director, David Findlay. "Looking for the
right replacement for the faithful VW 6-cylinder engine has been a
complex and exacting process. The new VW 5-cylinder unit has emerged
as ideal and matches our requirements perfectly. It also suits our
own forward development plans for the vehicle".

Automotive Technik, UK
http://www.pinzgauer.uk.com/

Pinzgauers are 4x4s or 6x6s, with a payload of 1.5 tons or more, very
tough and very well-engineered, and they can handle virtually any
terrain. They have a unique flexible tubular frame which is part of
the secret of their agility.

To the chagrin of Land Rover fans, the British Army's Land Rovers
have been replaced by the far more capable Pinzgauers.

The earlier models had 2.5-litre 4-cylinder air-cooled engines, later
ones 2.4-litre 6-cylinder water-cooled Volkswagen turbo-diesels. From
2002 the Pinzgauers will be fitted with new and more efficient Euro
III engines, a high-torque industrial variant of Volkswagen's popular
2.5 litre, 5-cylinder turbo inter-cooled diesel engine. In trials the
new-engined vehicle has proven as quick off the mark with a full
payload as the current model is unladen.

Pinzgauers are a bit smaller and lighter than Unimogs, but just as
powerful, faster on the road and at least as capable off it.

Fuel Tank - 80, 125 or 140 litres.